Learn when to see a fertility doctor for help conceiving
Have you and your partner tried to conceive without success? At Texas Fertility Center, we are dedicated to assisting our patients in achieving their goal of creating or building their family. Advanced training and expertise allow Erika Munch MD, our San Antonio fertility center expert, to perform infertility testing to diagnose and treat common fertility problems.
Five signs that you may need to consider infertility testing
When you want to have a baby, every month that passes without a positive pregnancy test feels like an eternity. It can leave you confused about how to determine when to give things more time and when to seek help. Dr. Munch provides the following guidelines on when to see a fertility doctor.
- You are under 35 and have tried to conceive for at least 12 months. Getting pregnant takes time. For couples and individuals in their 20s and early-30s, most doctors recommend having unprotected sex for a year before exploring treatment with a fertility specialist.
- You are over age 35. Women are born with a limited number of eggs. As a woman ages, the quality and quantity of those eggs decline. After age 35, Dr. Munch advises her patients to investigate possible fertility testing after actively trying for six months.
- You have known reproductive issues. For women who don’t ovulate, have structural abnormalities or suffer from reproductive problems, such as premature ovarian failure, endometriosis and PCOS, talking to a fertility expert is a wise course of action.
- You have experienced recurrent pregnancy loss. Once you have had two or more miscarriages, you should consider meeting with a fertility specialist. This doctor can perform infertility testing and identify any underlying causes.
- You have pre-existing medical conditions. If you have been diagnosed with diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, kidney disease or a thyroid condition, you should look into whether these issues could contribute to fertility problems. Also, cancer survivors who received chemotherapy or radiation may have difficulty conceiving and should think about fertility treatment.
We deliver exceptional patient care and outstanding results
The team at our San Antonio fertility center understands that getting pregnant is not always as easy as it seems. Knowing when to seek outside help from a fertility specialist can make the process less confusing. Contact our office for more information or to schedule an appointment.