Changing the conversation during National Infertility Awareness Week 2020
When it comes to infertility, it’s important to know that it’s a common condition that can affect anyone. Even though millions of women and men face fertility issues, people haven’t always talked openly about it. That’s changing with National Infertility Awareness Week 2020.
Every year, RESOLVE, the national infertility association, hosts multiple events designed to raise awareness about infertility as a treatable medical disease. During this week in April, people from around the country unite to eliminate the stigma of infertility and break down the barriers to building a family. To do our part, our San Antonio fertility center is sharing some fast fertility facts and explaining how you can get involved with NIAW 2020 (April 19-25, 2020).
Knowledge is power – Facts about infertility
Did you know that between 1 in 6 and 1 in 8 couples have trouble conceiving or carrying a pregnancy to term? Helping these women and men become parents is the reason why our San Antonio fertility center exists.
National Infertility Awareness Week 2020 is all about helping people realize that fertility issues are far more common and treatable than they realize. This all starts with education.
- Think you’re the only woman you know who needs fertility care? You probably know more than one who has partnered with a fertility doctor. 7.4 million U.S. women (nearly 12%) have received infertility treatment.
- Do you think that infertility is just a woman’s problem? Think again. About one-third of infertility is due to female factors and another third is due to male factors. The remaining third consists of cases of unexplained infertility or cases where there is a combination of issues in both partners.
Wondering if you need to visit a fertility clinic? The American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) recommends making an appointment with a board certified fertility specialist after one year of trying if you’re under 35. You should come in even sooner if you’re 35 or over.
How can you get involved with National Infertility Awareness Week 2020?
You don’t have to do anything big to be a part of NIAW 2020. These simple actions can help you connect to the nationwide mission of this important movement.
- Reading fertility stories can help you learn more about infertility, discover that you aren’t alone and find hope.
- Speaking your truth can be empowering. Consider sharing your story on our website. If you’re not ready to share your story with a large audience, NIAW 2020 can be a great time to share your story with close friends and family.
- Attending an event can help you connect with other members of the infertility community. However, due to COVID-19, many of these events will either be postponed or virtual this year.
As we move into National Infertility Awareness Week 2020, know that you’re never alone on your fertility journey. The team at our San Antonio fertility center stands with you and is here to help you welcome the baby you’ve been dreaming of. Contact us to schedule an appointment and learn how we can help make parenthood possible for you. Also, check out the Fertility Docs Uncensored podcast episode with RESOLVE President and CEO Barbara Collura to learn more about the organization’s events, including this year’s virtual Advocacy Day.Tweet