Anyone who wants to have a baby someday should know the signs of infertility
At Texas Fertility Center, we know most people don’t realize they’re facing infertility until they struggle to get pregnant. While some infertility causes don’t have clear symptoms, others do. As a result, it’s helpful to know the signs of infertility. Because fertility decreases with age, getting an infertility diagnosis early can increase the likelihood of having a healthy baby with help from our San Antonio infertility doctor.
What causes infertility in men and women?
It takes two to have a baby, so it’s important to know what causes infertility in both men and women.
The causes of male infertility
- Problems with sperm due to undescended testicles, genetic defects, health problems, infections and varicoceles
- Issues with sperm delivery due to sexual problems, genetic conditions, blockages and injuries to the reproductive organs
- Damage from radiation, chemotherapy or exposure to certain chemicals and pesticides
- Lifestyle factors like cigarette smoking, use of anabolic steroids and taking certain medications
The causes of female infertility
- Ovulation disorders, such as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), that interfere with the release of an egg
- Abnormalities in the uterus or cervix, including a uterine septum, fibroids, polyps, adhesions or an incompetent cervix
- Fallopian tube damage or blockages
- Endometriosis on the ovaries, uterus or fallopian tubes
- Primary ovarian insufficiency, or early menopause, which occurs before age 40
- Damage from chemotherapy or radiation
No matter what causes infertility, Erika Munch MD, our San Antonio infertility doctor has the knowledge and tools to diagnose and treat it.
What are the signs of infertility?
After learning about the different causes of fertility struggles, many people wonder how to find out if they have infertility. A diagnostic workup with our San Antonio infertility doctor is the best way to find out. However, knowing the following signs of infertility is a good starting place:
Signs in men
- Changes in hair growth or sexual function
- Small testicles or swelling in the scrotum
Signs in women
- Irregular or absent periods
- Very painful periods
- Having multiple miscarriages
Having any of these signs of infertility warrants making an appointment with a fertility doctor. Additionally, people should consider visiting a specialist like Dr. Munch if any of the following situations apply to them:
- Unable to conceive after one year of unprotected sex or after six months if over age 40
- Family history of fertility issues or conditions like early menopause
- Known low sperm count
- History of cancer treatment or surgery on the reproductive organs
Knowing what causes infertility and the symptoms to look for can help you be proactive about your family-building future. Contact us to schedule an appointment if you’d like to learn more about your fertility and reproductive potential.