Treating recurrent miscarriage offers hope for successful pregnancy
Many hopeful parents have experienced the heartbreak of pregnancy loss. For some, the joy of positive pregnancy tests is all too often followed by loss after loss. Our fertility specialist in San Antonio understands the pain of recurrent pregnancy losses, and has effective treatment options to help individuals and couples achieve and maintain pregnancy. In treating recurrent miscarriage, Texas Fertility Center provides compassionate care and advanced options that offer hope.
Understanding recurrent miscarriage
Recurrent miscarriage is defined as the spontaneous loss of two or more pregnancies. Causes of recurrent pregnancy loss can include genetic abnormalities, hormonal imbalances, uterine abnormalities, autoimmune disorders or other medical conditions. Identifying the underlying cause is crucial for determining which approach is best for treating recurrent miscarriage.
Diagnostic tests for recurrent miscarriage
Diagnostic tests can identify potential causes of pregnancy loss and guide decisions about treating recurrent miscarriage. When you come to Texas Fertility Center for help, our fertility specialist in San Antonio will begin by ordering a series of tests to pinpoint the cause of repeated pregnancy losses.
- Genetic testing. Analyzing the genetic makeup of both partners can help determine if chromosomal or genetic abnormalities contribute to recurrent miscarriage.
- Hormonal evaluation. Assessing the woman’s hormone levels can provide insight into potential hormonal imbalances that may affect pregnancy viability.
- Uterine evaluation. Imaging tests, such as hysterosalpingography or hysterosonography, can evaluate the structure of the uterus for abnormalities.
- Antibody tests. Testing for autoimmune disorders, blood clotting disorders and other medical conditions can help uncover underlying medical causes.
Treating recurrent miscarriage
The appropriate treatment for recurrent miscarriage depends on the diagnosis and other contributing factors.
- Hormone therapy. For many women, balancing hormone levels with medications is all that is needed to support a healthy pregnancy.
- Surgery. Correcting uterine abnormalities through minimally invasive surgical procedures can allow embryos to successfully implant and develop.
- Treating underlying medical conditions. Medical conditions, such as autoimmune disorders, can be treated with medications or other approaches to reduce the risk of miscarriage.
- IVF with PGT. In some cases, we may recommend IVF with preimplantation genetic testing (PGT). By genetically testing embryos prior to transfer, we can ensure that we select an embryo that offers the greatest chance of pregnancy success.
At Texas Fertility Center, your fertility specialist will conduct a thorough evaluation to identify the underlying causes of recurrent miscarriage, then create a personalized treatment plan tailored to your unique needs.
If you have experienced recurrent miscarriage, you don’t have to face it alone. Contact Texas Fertility Center today to schedule a personalized consultation with an experienced fertility specialist in San Antonio, and find out about treating recurrent miscarriage on your journey toward a successful pregnancy.