Feeling overwhelmed by fertility acronyms? TFC is here to help
Starting infertility treatment can feel like you’re swimming through an alphabet soup of fertility acronyms. However, you aren’t alone as you navigate this vast world of fertility terms. The team at our San Antonio fertility center wants you to feel empowered. As a result, we’re going to explain some of the most common terms you’ll see during fertility treatment.
Explore the top fertility acronyms for patients
No matter where you are on your fertility journey, you’re likely to come across multiple fertility acronyms. Whether you’re just TTC with IUI or you’re about to undergo IVF with ICSI, our San Antonio fertility center team can explain what these terms mean. Here’s a list of some of the most common ones.
- HSG (hysterosalpingogram) is a common infertility diagnostic test for women. It involves inserting dye through the cervix and using a series of X-rays to make sure the dye can travel through the uterus and fallopian tubes. The goal of the test is to make sure a woman’s fallopian tubes are open and unblocked.
- ICSI (intracytoplasmic sperm injection) can occur as part of the fertilization step of in vitro fertilization. During this procedure, an embryologist injects a single healthy sperm into each egg to increase the chances of fertilization. This is an excellent treatment for severe male factor infertility.
- IUI (intrauterine insemination) is a basic fertility treatment that involves injecting washed and prepared sperm into the hopeful mother’s uterus around the time of ovulation. When patients come to our San Antonio fertility center, Erika Munch MD can perform this procedure using donor sperm or sperm from the female patient’s partner.
- IVF (in vitro fertilization) is an advanced fertility treatment option that includes several steps. The hopeful mother starts by taking medication to stimulate the growth of multiple eggs. Dr. Munch will then retrieve the eggs during a short outpatient procedure. The embryologists will fertilize them in the lab before Dr. Munch transfers one of the resulting embryos to the woman’s uterus.
- TTC (trying to conceive) is a popular term on fertility blogs and online discussion boards. This is one of the many fertility acronyms hopeful parents use when they are searching for fertility advice and support online.
Help and support for navigating the fertility treatment process
You can always contact the team at our San Antonio fertility center if you have questions about fertility acronyms or treatment. Dr. Munch and the rest of our team want to support you as you work to achieve your dream of parenthood. Contact us to schedule an appointment and get started on this journey.